[TYPO3-english] 404 error on subpage of disabled page

I have a page with subpages. When I disable the page, I get a "PREVIEW" message in the frontend. The subpages still can be view normally, without a "PREVIEW" message. I would like to check the page option "Extend to subpages" to also disable all subpages, resulting in a "PREVIEW" message in the frontend for these. When I do this the page is shown with "PREVIEW" in the frontend. But the subpages result in a 404 error. I disabled realurl, and tried accessing the pages using page id only, still the same error.
Any hints on how I could achive this?

Thanks
Klaus