[TYPO3-dev] Access pictures added with foreign_table in plugin view

Hello,

I am currently developing an extension which displays pictures on a page. I
used Flexform to create the plugin configuration form:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<T3DataStructure>
   <langChildren>0</langChildren>
   <langDisable>1</langDisable>
 <sheets>
        <sDEF>
          <ROOT>
                <TCEforms>
                        <sheetTitle>Pictures</sheetTitle>
                </TCEforms>

            <type>array</type>
            <el>
              <settings.pictures>
                <TCEforms>
                  <exclude>1</exclude>
                  <label>Select the pictures you want to use for the background
changer.</label>
                  <config>
                    <type>inline</type>
<appearance>
                        <headerThumbnail>
                                <field>uid_local</field>
                                <height>45c</height>
                                <width>45</width>
                        </headerThumbnail>
                        <useSortable>1</useSortable>
                        <enabledControls>
                                <new>0</new>
                        </enabledControls>
                    </appearance>
<foreign_table>sys_file_reference</foreign_table>
                    <foreign_table_field>tablenames</foreign_table_field>
                    <foreign_field>uid_foreign</foreign_field>
                    <foreign_label>uid_local</foreign_label>
                    <foreign_selector>uid_local</foreign_selector>
<!-- Deactivate text fields (title, desc,...) -->
                    <foreign_types type="array">
                        <numIndex index="2">
                                <showitem></showitem>
                        </numIndex>
                    </foreign_types>
<foreign_match_fields>
                        <fieldname>image</fieldname>
                    </foreign_match_fields>
<!-- Only FILES of type GIF/JPG/PNG are allowed -->
                    <foreign_selector_fieldTcaOverride>
                        <config>
                                <appearance>

<elementBrowserAllowed>gif,jpg,jpeg,png</elementBrowserAllowed>

<elementBrowserType>file</elementBrowserType>
                                </appearance>
                        </config>
                    </foreign_selector_fieldTcaOverride>
</config>
                </TCEforms>
              </settings.pictures>
            </el>
          </ROOT>
        </sDEF>
        <sSettings>
                <ROOT>
                        <TCEforms>
                                <sheetTitle>Settings</sheetTitle>
                        </TCEforms>

                        <type>array</type>
                        <el>
                                <settings.duration>
                                        <TCEforms>
                                                <exclude>1</exclude>
                                                <label>Duration (in
milliseconds)</label>
                                                <config>
                                                        <type>input</type>
                                                        <size>5</size>
                                                        <max>5</max>
                                                        <eval>int</eval>
                                                </config>
                                        </TCEforms>
                                </settings.duration>

                                <!--settings.effect>
                                        <TCEforms>
                                                <exclude>1</exclude>
                                                <label>Effect</label>
                                        </TCEforms>
                                </settings.effect-->
                        </el>
                </ROOT>
        </sSettings>

 </sheets>
</T3DataStructure>

Now there's two problems:

1) (And that's strange) The first time using this form I was able to assign pictures.
Then I re-installed the extension and created a new container for the plugin. When I add
a picture now (which used to work perfectly fine!) they don't even have the
"Info"-icon. When I save, I get the following error:

#1381590731: Metadata can only be retrieved for indexed files.
The only way to fix it is to open PMA and set the foreign_uid-field to the new
dataset manually. Like I said, it worked before!

2) This is the main problem: I am trying to access my pictures with
$this->settings['images'] in my controller action, but all it returns is the
number of pictures assigned. How do I get the pictures that I assigned in the
backend?

I appreciate any help! I really need this extension to work (and I also can't
use other ready-made extensions which do the same thing as the one I'm trying
to make)