Re: [TYPO3-dev] Depreciation log grows too fast and too big

Hi,

>>> I just recognized that on my development machine the depreciation log
>>> was about 600 MB. Those data was collected during some weeks.
>>> Nevertheless I feel like this file is growing too fast and is getting
>>> too big.
>> I have reported this a as a bug a couple of days ago:
>> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=10707
>
> I just hacked up a happy little patch attached to the bugtracker id to
> introduce a new install tool option:
> $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['enableDeprecationLogFile']

IIRC there was such a discussion on the core list and people there did
not want to introduce such an option. At last, the goal is not to annoy
people with insipid log entries but to make admin awares that they use
old extensions that should be patched/upgraded/replaced ASAP.

The problem is that as you pointed out, the log file becomes huge very
quickly as Dan reported that most if not all entries come from core
itself. I think this is where the problem is: introducing this
deprecation feature without taking care of quickly enough making the
core compatible with it.

This deprecation log makes sense and should not be removed or at least
not by default. But core should very soon become compatible and perhaps
a install note should tell sysadmins that adding a rule to their
logrotate config might be a good idea...

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en